Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Breast Cancer PSAs Raise Eyebrows

Check it out here

I found this at abc news. It is about new spots being televised for breast cancer awareness. They are wondering if they have taken it too far with the new ads. There are girls in bikinis that some people think look more like a lingerie add instead of breast cancer awareness ads. Some are very provocative, but the founder of Rethink Breast Cancer says that to get younger people to pay more attention they had to come up with a new way to do it. The article states that every organization is trying to come up with a way to let their message sink in. These are very memorable, but are they the right way to go?

With my first reaction, I was unsure if this would be the right way to address this issue. It is definitely going to offend some people. As I kept reading I started realizing why they wanted to do them this way. I mostly agree with them and think that it will be good for the people they are trying to inform.

Some of these ads are very provocative and sexual but lets be honest, sex is what sells these days. The leading cause of cancer deaths in young women is breast cancer. So like they say, are younger women going to pay attention to older ladies on a pamphlet or to this more day and age approach. According to the article, the younger people are who said they needed to come up with a more in your face approach to get them to realize this is a big deal. According to this article the founder of this organization says that they are also targeting men. They want them to be more aware for their wives or their girlfriends. I think that this is going to be very controversial, but for the most part I think they are going in the right direction.

Since breast cancer is the leading death in young women, I think that it is very important to target them in a way that they are going to be more willing to go and get an exam. I know that I wouldn't think twice about getting breast cancer but this made me more aware. At the end of this article it said that this will offend some people but it will also be memorable, and people act on memory of ads. I strongly agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment