Friday, March 5, 2010

Kids and Television

Do kids watch too much tv? I know its an old issue, but I think that it's a good one. So exactly how much is too much? According to this website, children under 2 should not watch any television and children 2 and over need only 1 to 2 hours a day. I think that 2 hours a day is a good number to go by, although I have to admit that I let my children watch about 3-4 hours of television as of right now. It's cold outside, I am doing schoolwork, and all the toys and games in the house just seem to be too boring I guess. I have given in to this easy substitution, and after I get done writing this I am taking the kids out to play. I feel guilty for letting them watch this much television, and not playing with them. Honestly, they are only little once and the chance that they will want to play with me in a few years is slim to none.

Another reason I feel guilty for letting them watch this much tv, is the fact that it is not healthy. It has been shown that kids who watch too much tv are more at risk to become overweight. They don't want to get up and do the physical activities that will keep them healthy. This website shares some good ideas on things to do with your children other than watching television. Be creative, and your child will love whatever it is you are doing. It is new and exciting for them. One of the things that my children love to do on an inside day is play with shaving cream. They get to spread it all over the table and draw in it. It is a great way to teach shapes and letters, and also helps them to learn to write their name. They don't know that they are learning all of these things, they just think that it is fun. Clean up is easy too, because they like to do it. Give them a couple of paper towels and let them go. Your job just got easier.
Watching too much tv takes place of the other important things that they could be doing. Reading and using their imaginations is much more important.

Older children like to watch tv also, and it might be harder to try and get them to not watch a show that they just think that they have to see. Set some guidelines. If they want to watch a certain show, let them watch it, but let them know that they have a time limit. When they make it to the limit, the tv goes off. It is also not good to put a tv in a child's bedroom. It is not easy for a parent to regulate how much they are watching if it is in their room. There are some other good guidelines to follow here.

I know that I have been guilty of letting my children watch too much tv here lately, but we are getting out of that rut today. Let's keep our children healthy. Anyway, deep down everyone knows that they love to play princess and castles or dungeons and dragons, no matter how old they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment