Friday, February 26, 2010

I have been on a health kick for a while now, and I am actually starting to like the results. Not only is the weight control great, but I also seem to have more energy throughout the day. While starting this new way of life, I have learned that fast food is a major hurdle for many people. I don't eat out a lot, but since I have started watching the fats and sugars, there is no way that I could eat as much fast food as I used to, knowing what I would be consuming. I don't believe that it is entirely one person's fault. It's not just the fast food chain for super sizing every meal and making proportions larger than needed. It's not just the person eating out every day for lunch just for convenience, and super sizing it just because you can. I do believe that it is these two things together though, that are making our country so unhealthy.

McDonald's is a very convenient place to stop when you are in a hurry, but this might change your mind when choosing your lunch menu. On the nutrition list for McDonald's, one Big Mac has 540 calories. That is just the sandwich, not the meal. Most people would add fries (medium = 380) and a soft drink (medium coke = 210). That is 1130 calories. For most females the suggested daily calorie intake is 1200, so good luck starving the rest of the day.

Most people argue that there is nothing else to eat when you work from 9 to 5 and only get a 30 min lunch. I would have to disagree. Don't forget the bring your own lunch option. This website had some great ideas. Also remember that when you pack your own lunch, you get to control what goes in and on everything. Try all grain breads for sandwiches or pitas. I love to eat big salads and try new veggies for toppings. There are so many options you can choose from, it's amazing.

It is also cost efficient if you bring your own lunch. On average a lunch cost between $5 and $10 when eating out. If you bring it from home you can choose things you already have. Use leftovers or make something new with them. Remember that reusable containers are always nice to use. You are saving money and making a healthier lifestyle.

There will be days that an eat out lunch or a fast food restaurant will be needed, but just remember to be smart. America is becoming very unhealthy and I believe that this is a major part in helping to slow this process down.

2 comments:

  1. You might try to documentary Food, Inc. It's a great place to lose your appetite on today's fast food. I think it's a great incentive to prepare and grow at least (partially) your own food. You can read more about it online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh McDonalds I could have so much money if I didn't not eat there for my lunch breaks! Stupid food industry! GO you on the health plan!

    ReplyDelete