Thursday, February 18, 2010

My husband and I are having ourselves a mini-vacation. We are in Columbia until Sunday watching my brother-in-law wrestle at the state championships, and we managed to leave the house with no kids. This is why we are declaring this a vacation. So far it has been great, but there is one thing that I would like to talk about. On the way to Columbia, I realized how mean drivers can be to one another if something doesn't go their way. I also realized how harmful it could be to others and yourself. Road rage is a very bad thing!

I know, you are probably thinking that I am just screaming at you for committing this act of wrong doing, but I am truthful when I say that when I point a finger at you, I have 3 pointing back to me. I am just as guilty or more than you are, but the fact is, we really need to hold off all bad feelings on the road. At this site, road rage is described as a display of aggression by a driver that sometimes leads to a physical assault. When I first saw this I thought that it was a little extreme, but I looked at some statistics and found out that over a period of 6 years there were 10,037 reported instances of road rage. Out of these instances, 12,610 were injured and 218 men, women, and children were known to be murdered. These numbers blew my mind!

Most of us think of road rage as being little things that people do to others when they are mad at something they did. Some examples include: profanity, hand gestures, speeding up or slowing down. These all seem like they are harmless, but what happens when they get out of hand. A car could run off the road and hurt or even kill someone. This makes it sound a lot more dangerous, don't you think. This site has some good suggestions on how to overcome the urge to have road rage. They include, concentrate on just driving, make sure you give yourself enough time to get to your destination, and drive the speed limit. It also gives good information on what to do if you are confronted with someone who has road rage. They suggest that you just let them by. Don't give in to their pressure and do not make eye contact. This will let the reckless driver by and away from you.

Everyone has a little road rage every once in a while, but controlling it will help lead to safer drivers. If you want to report any drivers who have displayed road rage you can visit this site for more information. Drive Safely!!

1 comment:

  1. I really don't think most drivers have any clue about how dangerous even the smallest little gesture can be. Tailgating in particular is my biggest pet peeve.

    ReplyDelete