Tuesday, October 13, 2009

6 Year Old Boy Faces Reform Shool

Check it out here

I found this at abc news. Zachary Christie, a 6 year old boy was suspended for 45 days and is wanted to go to reform school. He brought a camping tool to school, which had a knife on it, and the school administration deemed him to be in violation of their zero tolerance weapon policy. His parents feel that the action was too harsh. They stated that he was just excited about a new tool his parents bought him for his camping trips with the Cub Scouts, and he wanted to bring it to school to show it off. They think that the rules need to be adjusted for certain ages. Zachary's parents are fighting the board on this ruling.

As much as I feel for these parents, I have to agree with the school on most of the ruling. If a school has a policy, they have to follow through with the actions if a student breaks that policy, or there will always be someone saying that it is not fair that their child got this punishment because he didn't. I do think that the age and the child has to be taken into consideration though. Zachary loved school, and was a great student. It even states in the article that it seemed like the principle did not want to call his mother because he knew that the student meant no harm. I think that the ruling of Zachary having to go to reform school is overboard. I feel that suspension is enough for him to understand what he did was against the rules.

I have a 5 almost 6 year old in kindergarten right now, and I know that if this was me I would be upset at the fact they wanted my child to go to reform school. I could understand their policy for zero tolerance, and that it would be up to the parents partially for not telling the child not to bring stuff like this to school. I always check to see what my daughter is bringing to school is appropriate. I could also see the school adjusting their policy for certain ages of children now that this has happened. There is a big difference in a 6 year old and a 12 year old.

I do feel sorry that this had to happen to a good student and family, but they have to realize that a school has to follow through with their policies. Again, I disagree with the reform school, since this was nothing but a young child bringing what he thought was a cool toy to school. I do agree with having to suspend him for his actions, but look into another way of doing things in the future for certain ages of children. Hopefully this incident gets resolved in a good, clean fashion. Best wishes to everyone involved.

2 comments:

  1. I think reform school is overboard as well. Perhaps suspension, or even detention, for not following the rules, but definitely not reform school. This school is going way overboard, especially if he is a good student. In the long run, sending him to reform school will do more bad, than good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That child in his innocence - did nothing wrong. I agree that age should definitely be a consideration, and also the childs behavior in school (in the younger children - older children can manipulate us too well). It is too bad that they had to make an example out of the good student. I hope it does not ruin him.

    ReplyDelete