Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Air Travel Survival Guide

Check it out here

I found this at abc news. Since the holidays are upon us, I wanted to blog about just that, the holidays. What better thing to talk about then air travel tips, especially since most people go to see family for Thanksgiving. This article was all about tips to making your trip run much smoother.

The first tip was to round up all the necessities one week before departure. This makes perfect since. Like they stated in the article, you don't want to find out that the zipper on your suitcase is broken the night before you leave.
The next tip was for 48 hours before departure: make sure you and your loved ones have a phone. You don't want someone to be waiting for you at the airport, when your flight was delayed for an hour. I also liked the fact that they said to program the airline's number in your phone. You might just need to make that call.
Next was 24 hours before departure. This came with 5 steps. Step 1 is to print out your boarding pass. I didn't know this but, usually the first ones to print their boarding pass are the ones who get the best seats. Step 2 is to charge all electronics. Step 3 is to have food and entertainment ready. They gave the idea to pack your lunch, that way you don't have to spend a huge amount on the outrageous airline food. Step 4 is to pack and use a carry on. Step 5 is to print out maps of departure and connecting airports and study them. This will help to save you time when you get there.
Now for the night before departure. Make sure you lay out wear on plane clothes, boarding pass, reading material, etc. Also, make your transportation arrangements to get to the airport. Always leave early in case of delays. You want to be at the airport at least an hour before your flight leaves.
Finally, the departure day. You should be completely prepared if you followed the above steps. If there are delays, just sit back and enjoy. All of your work is done.

I hope that this helps anyone who is planning on traveling for Thanksgiving, or any holiday for that matter. I am not a big traveler. I have only been on a plane 3 times in my life. One of them included a joy ride, another for skydiving, so actually I have only been 1 time to actually travel, and I wish that I could have had these steps to follow. I was not ready for what was ahead of me. I think that this article layed them out pretty easy. If they are followed it should be smooth sailing from there. I think that the most interesting thing I learned from this article was that by printing off your boarding pass first, you got a better seat. That would have been nice to know.

Again, I hope this helps all of you travelers, and have a Happy Turkey Day!

1 comment:

  1. There are some great tips in that article. I haven't traveled by airplane much either, but a few good tips for the future could save quite a headache when traveling. It sounds like the more organized you are ahead of time, the more you can relax. Good story.

    ReplyDelete