Monday, November 2, 2009

Elderly Man Fights Attacker With Soda

Check it out here

I found this at abc news. This story is a little different than usual, but I found it interesting. Pat Gillespie is 77 years old. He came home from the grocery store one afternoon and started to empty his trunk, when an assaulter came and pointed a gun to him. The assaulter told him to empty his pockets, but Pat refused. Instead, he tried to attack his assaulter with a 2 liter Pepsi bottle. He hit him a few times before he was shot in the groin. After being shot, he hit the man one more time, and the robber ran off. Then Pat went inside and finally called his neighbor.

My initial reaction was that this man is insane for trying to fight off someone that had a gun, with only a 2 liter bottle. He stated in the clip that it was just instinct. He didn't want someone taking what belonged to him. He also stated that he would have kept going if he would not have tripped. This makes me wonder what a person's body goes through in cases like this. I initially think that I would have given this man whatever he wanted to try and save my life, but not in Pat's case. He said instinct led him to attack, even though the assaulter held a gun on him. So, does instinct and adrenaline take over? I find this very interesting. I was happy to see that Pat turned out just fine, other than a limp that he obtained from the gun shot, but what about next time. Will the next victim be so lucky? I guess my question is, what would you do in a situation like this? Give in or fight back....?

No comments:

Post a Comment